International Archives, Libraries, Museums and Special Collections Conference on the Future of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans Histories
01/08/2012 - 03/08/2012
The conference, hosted by IHLIA, the International Gay and Lesbian Archive and Information Centre, aims to bring together European, North American and global civil society and national heritage institutions to make the history of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* and intersex (LGBTI) citizens visible and accessible. We envision that by 2020 the heritage of LGBTI individuals and the LGBTI community is collected and recognized in Europe and globally as part of the cultural wealth of society.
The conference will:
- Consolidate our knowledge of archiving as a tool in building democratic and free societies, making LGBTI histories accessible to all
- Strengthen the pan-European and global network of LGBTI organizations that collect our histories and make them available to the public
- Exchange and share the bountiful knowledge of LGBTI archives from other continents with European actors
- Advance the practice of collecting oral histories, an invaluable way of recording the life stories of LGBTI people, in Europe and the world, as well as other new methods of making our histories accessible
- Build ongoing collaboration between LGBTI ALMS organizations as well as with cultural heritage institutions and to strengthen ties between stakeholders
- Showcase IHLIA, as inspiration for participants.
Plaats en tijdstip